A hair transplant is a medical procedure that can be performed on both men and women in order to address hair loss. During this surgical technique, hair follicles are moved from one area of the body (called a donor site) to another area of the body that is losing its hair (recipient site). The number of people opting for hair surgery is growing, and recent improvements in techniques have made it possible for the process to stop hair loss to such an extent that people are unaware that they were previously bald. But how should you take care of yourself before and after getting a hair transplant is an important question that everyone that want to have a hair transplant needs to know? In this article, we will be looking at some of the recommendations for before and after a hair transplant.
Why Should You Get a Hair Transplant?
Research had shown that approximately fifty percent of women and nearly sixty percent of males at some point in their lives will experience hair thinning or lose their hairs. Depending on the cause of hair loss, there is a wide range of treatment options to choose from. One treatment option for common types of hair loss, such as pattern baldness, which can affect both men and women is a hair transplant. The fact that it is efficient, boasting a success rate of between 95 and 98 percent, is by far the most significant advantage.
The decision to undergo hair surgery is a significant one due to the myriad of considerations, despite the fact that it offers a permanent solution to hair thinning and loss. Since hair transplantation is such an important operation, you should not rush into making the decision to have it done.
The Things to Consider Before Getting a Hair Transplant
Before deciding to get a hair transplant, it is important to undertake adequate and in-depth study so that you are aware of what needs to be done both before and after the procedure. It is imperative that you convey all of your worries regarding the procedure to the hair transplant surgeon in as much detail as possible. Before getting a hair transplant, there are a few important considerations you need to make, including the following:
Choosing the right hair surgeon and technique
The success of hair transplants is highly dependent on the skill and experience of the surgeon performing the procedure. Finding the right surgeon requires investigating their track record and success rate. Having a consultation with the surgeon to discuss the procedure’s cost, kind, and recovery time is first smart step.
Choosing the right techniques
When it comes to getting a hair transplant, making the appropriate decision will have consequences both before and after the procedure.
What Should I Do Before a Hair Transplant?
When preparing for a hair transplant process, it is essential to take the necessary pre-hair-transplant care for optimal results. This will ensure that the transplant proceeds without a hitch and that the patient does not experience any discomfort while the operation is being performed. Ten days prior to the procedure. A person undergoing a hair transplant is required to take the following precautions:
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages as well as smoking is not allowed during this time period.
- It is strongly recommended that the patient abstain from taking any aspirin, Advil, anti-inflammatory medicines, or painkillers.
- The patient should also abstain from ingesting any steroids and applying cortisone creams. Because these can increase the risk of bleeding during the procedure.
The recommendations for the hair transplant care that need to be followed the day before surgery are as follows:
- The patient needs to get enough sleep.
- It is imperative that the patient refrain from applying or using any hair spray, gel, or other styling products.
- It is also very important to take any drugs that have been prescribed to you by the doctor.
- They is also need to wear an old shirt throughout the process because it is highly likely that it will be discarded after the procedure. It is a good idea to bring along a button-up shirt in case they want to change into it following the transplant.
The following is a list of additional instructions that must be followed on the day of the hair transplant:
- Use a gentle shampoo to clean the scalp thoroughly.
- Stay away from excessive amounts of caffeine and try to have a breakfast that’s not too heavy.
- Do not wear any kind of wig, hair accessory, or product that is intended to style your hair.
- Refrain from engaging in any intense exercise. Like exercising, running, jogging, and so on.
If you are currently taking any additional drugs. It is important that you inform your surgeon about them before your surgery.
What Should I Do After a Hair Transplant?
When the operation is over, the length of time it takes to recover varies from person to person and can last anywhere from two days up to two weeks. Here are some of the things you should do after the hair transplantation.
- Beginning from the night of the treatment and continuing for the following five nights. You will need to sleep with your head elevated on two pillows in order to maintain a 45-degree angle for your head.
- It is possible that you could experience swelling, itching, and pain for a few days after surgery. The surgeon will prescribe drugs to treat these symptoms.
- The surgeon will show you how to wash your hair. And you can start doing so on the second or third day after the procedure. In addition, the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion that the doctor has suggested should be the only ones used for at least two weeks after the transplant.
- Refraining from drinking alcohol for three days after surgery and smoking for at least two weeks after the surgery.
- If you are going to be exposed to direct sunlight for more than half an hour. You have to wear a hat for the next three months.
- After hair surgery, you are only permitted to engage in light activity for the first week, but you are advised to refrain from vigorous exercise for the first two weeks.
- Two to three days following your hair transplantation. The majority of patients will be able to return to their regular activities.
- Additionally, for the next three weeks after the treatment. You should stay out of the heat and the sun as much as possible.
- Swimming is not something that should be done during this time because it is not deemed safe.
To these aftercare procedures following a hair transplant. The following are also recommended:
- Refrain from using tobacco products, consuming alcoholic beverages, and using medication for pain.
- For at least a couple of weeks after the procedure. You should refrain from engaging in any activities that require you to put forth significant effort, including sexual intercourse.
- Make sure you take the oral drugs that your doctor has given at the appropriate times.
Maybe you‘re interested: Best Hair Transplant Clinics and Surgeons in Lexington